Friday, January 28, 2011

The one Item that I own that brings back memories.

I remember being three years old when it was given to me.  My late grandfather was an artist and a great man.  I remember for my third birthday what he made for me, and what he gave to me.

The item that I am talking about is a painting.  See my favorite Disney character is and always will be Goofy.  My grandpa painted me a portrait of Goofy in Firefighter attire with my grandpa's old latter number on the hat that he painted on Goofy.  He used the colors red, black, yellow, peach, and orange.  Also painted on it in red lettering is "Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas to my little Peanut!"  I remember him setting it on my lap like it was just yesterday.  That was twenty years ago. Wow.

The item that he gave me to go along with that painting, which was placed behind it, was a very expensive water color painting.  I don't quite remember what that painting looks like, nor do i care to look seeing as that painting is older than some of you, my followers. It very fragile. 

I remember what my grandpa said to me before he passed away.  He said "Peanut, do you remember that painting I made for you?" "Yes grandpa, I do, it's hanging in my room right now above my bed." "Good. Now, do you remember what's behind it?"  "Of course I do grandpa."  "Good. I must tell you something about that painting. That painting is very old. Almost older than me." "Really?" " Yes, wanna know where I got it from?"  So he was finally going to tell me where he got this very nice painting from. "Yes" I said. Then he says to me with a very big smile on his face "I got that from Hitlers home after the war was over after my troops and I seized his home." 

After hearing that, I just about soiled myself.  Here it was, a remaining piece of something that once belonged to Hitler.  How would you feel if you were given this news?

I still have both paintings. Will I ever get rid of the painting from Hitler? It's worth alot of money i'm sure, but no, i would never.  It's items like that that brings back fond memories of my grandpa.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds very nice Mary and that's pretty cool that your grandfather got it from Hitler's home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What an amazing story. I'm so glad you've written it down to share with us and to keep with yourself. Just...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks guys. it's a hard story to remember trust me. hard memory. but it's one i'll never forget.

    ReplyDelete